Questions to Ask a Window Replacement Company
Before enlisting the services of a window replacement company, there are some questions that you must ask. When you contact the company, they will try to organize a consultative interview with you. During the interview you are expected to ask all possible questions concerning the company and how they handle their projects. Ask questions to verify if the company can handle your project proficiently.
Basic Compulsory Questions
- Ask the company following questions:
- If they charge prospective customers for requesting an estimate.
- The second question is to investigate how long the company has been in the window replacement business.
- Thirdly, inquire if the company is specialized in window installations and if they have their own crew or if they depend on hiring 3rd-party installers.
- The next question to ask is, when using 3rd party installers, will a company representative be present on the site during the window installation process.
- Some companies have specific window brands that they use or recommend. Be sure to ask them to give you the reasons for their preference and if they will install another kind if you choose not to go with their recommendation.
- The last essential question is how the company handles after-job services.
Questions on Bidding
- The second batch of questions is related to bidding:
- If you decide to hire the company, ask them to clarify their payment terms.
- You also need to ask if the company offers painting services as part of the installation.
- The duration of the project from ordering of material to installation.
- The fourth question to ask is how the company finishes the interior of the windows after installing them.
- Ask the type of warranty the company offers on installation and the windows.
- Inquire if the company has any recent projects and if they have referrals from previous clients.
Schedule an Appointment
If their answers are unsatisfactory, schedule an appointment for a home visit. However continue interviewing other window replacement companies.
It is advisable to request bids from several companies before hiring. During the scheduled visit, the company assesses your project and gives an estimate. However, if your answers are not satisfactory, appreciate their efforts and continue searching for other companies. If the company presses for a confirmation give them a straight but polite response and thank them again for their time.
Gauging Company’s Professionalism
Be cautious enough to ensure that your project succeeds as planned. When asking questions, do not be worried about sounding distrustful or offensive. Reputable companies expect such questions and are eager to answer them. An experienced firm answers the questions professionally because it is in line with their duties. Most contractors strive not only to get the business but also to be the best choice. They also want other businesses and possible referrals from you. If the company answers your questions correctly and gives a bid that meets your expectation make the next step. Consult the local state licensing agency and Better Business Bureau to ensure that the company’s file does not have complaints or other issues of unprofessionalism. Contact all references provided and look at their previous assignments.
It is a good business practice to ask the potential window replacement company, handyman or contractor questions before hiring them.
- Are they bonded and licensed?
- Are they experienced to handle a project of your magnitude?
- Did they serve in other companies before starting theirs?
Asking questions enables you to gauge the ability of the company to handle your project successfully.